Tuesday 17 October 2017

Rainbow Warrior Bombing



In 1985 New Zealand was basking in its position as leader of the anti-nuclear movement. As a country it had clearly punched above its weight. Then, just before midnight on the evening of 10 July, two explosions ripped through the hull of the Greenpeace flagship Rainbow Warrior, which was moored at Marsden Wharf in Auckland

A Portuguese crew member, Fernando Pereira, was killed in the explosions. The Rainbow Warrior had been involved in protests over French nuclear testing in the Pacific. French Secret Service (DGSE) agents were sent to prevent it leaving for another protest campaign at Mururoa Atoll.
Ship half sunk at dock

Two DGSE officers, Dominique Prieur and Alain Mafart, were arrested on 24 July. Both were charged with murder, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and were sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment. The case was a source of considerable embarrassment to the French government. While the attack was on an international organisation rather than New Zealand itself, most New Zealanders did not make such a distinction. The fact that it was committed on New Zealand territory by a supposed friend produced a sense of outrage and a serious deterioration in relations between New Zealand and France.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Reed!

    My name is Ellee and I will be blogging with you this summer for the Summer Learning journey!

    This is a really cool post about the Rainbow Warrior, very informative! What do you think about bombing? Pretty crazy I think ....I am glad that New Zealand said 'no to nuclear', what do you think?
    I really enjoyed reading this post Reed, hopefully I'll get to check out more over the Summer!

    If you want to check out the Summer Learning Journey website you can follow this link: https://sites.google.com/site/summerlearningjourney/

    Here is also a link to the weekly activities:
    https://sites.google.com/site/summerlearningjourney/weekly-activities

    Remember each activity is worth points so make sure once you’ve finished an activity post it up on your blog so we can add it to your total!

    Hopefully I'll see you blogging over the summer soon!

    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am looking forward to reading your quality comment! Try and follow these steps when commenting please:

1. Introduce yourself.
2. Give me some positive feedback on my post - but be specific.
3. Think about something I could do to improve my post - but be specific.
4. Leave your blog address so I can give you some feedback too!

Thanks
REED